Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Little kids, BIG love

Matthew 18:4-5  Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the 
greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.



OK, there is nothing quite like spending some time with some truly amazing kids.  My day was somewhat uneventful, however, I did babysit for some kids tonight and just had a blast...like always.  It wasn't anything special; we ate McDonald's and played Rock Band...but still I see much of God's perfect timing at work here.


I am fortunate enough to be able to have a lot of little kids around, ages 10 and under, to keep me sane and to keep my "adult superiority" in check.  I am blessed to be able to lead a Life Group at Southland Christian Church for 3-5th grade boys, have 3 awesome little cousins that I see regularly (I have some more that I unfortunately don't see quite as often and some that I have yet to meet, but will soon...hopefully!), and also have connected with family in Danville as a babysitter for their 3 boys.  Needless to say, I have a lot of little kids running around in my life and I find that to be a good thing.


I have always thought that kids really know how to live and that they are the ones that we should model our lives after.  They tell it like it is and they know nothing of the evils of the adult world.  We come into this world so pure and innocent and so quickly are we covered in the weight of our world as we "grow up".  We begin to lose sight of those wonderful questions (why is the sky blue? why is the grass green? etc.).  We begin to lose ourselves.  In short, we grow up and become blind to so many of God's wonders and this is unnerving to me.  Spend some time with a kid and you will know what I am talking about.  The way the question the things around them and the way they process their surroundings is...AWESOME.  It is so much fun to be around kids because they are truly interested in most everything that crosses their path and they are truly inquisitive.  Perhaps this is a great way to begin someone's walk with Christ.  Perhaps a truly inquisitive nature with true interest and without predispositions is the perfect setting for a developing Christ-follower.  Maybe all my insecurities could be setting me up for a deeper relationship with Christ, allowing me to question my faith and explore the depths of my soul, preparing a place worthy enough for Christ to take up residence.  Christ is all around me and I have him in my heart, but I want to give myself completely.  I want to abandon this life and this world's concerns and the daily rat race, I want to get spiritually topped off...poor choice of words?


Something that I am truly enjoying that comes with this blog is the feeling of accountability I have talked about before.  I find myself not allowing myself to get into areas that would lead to "non-Christian" behavior.  Since the beginning of this blog, I have really tried to replace my cynicism and judgment with appreciation for differences as well as a fortified attempt to check my judgments at the door.  I am NO ONE to judge, honestly.  While my family may not agree, as I am not usually the "witty" one at our house, I am often too pointed and biting with my words when it comes to my friends.  I am often hardest on those that are closest to me and I am trying to keep that in check as well.  I really feel God pulling me to try and see people through His eyes, I want to be able to love His people as He does.  Imagine if we could all just have respect for each other?  I am not saying that we have to like each other, by any means.  I am merely suggesting that respect would be something that could solve a lot of problems.  Now, I am obviously not perfect and I cannot pretend that I will never offend someone again or that I will never hold my judgment as just...but I am ready to do away with that aspect of my life.  I want those adjectives to lose weight in my life and I want to be known for something different.  I want to be known for my continued struggle with my walk, my belief in Jesus Christ, and how I treated people.  I want to be remembered as someone who tried to reciprocate the love shown to him by his creator.  I want to be someone who is remembered by the fact that in loving God, he loved people as well.


To end my night, I think I'll sit outside for a little while longer.  I plan to breathe deeply and listen intently.  I intend to wait for His voice to speak to me and I intend to let myself be caught up in the mission...a mission to "make Jesus famous".

1 comment:

  1. Chaser--- who is the witty one? (please say me please say me please say me) :) I love you and am very proud of you, Chazah! Also, very impressed with your writing style! Much improved from that freshman year hillside paper reading moment ;) Love always-- seester.

    ReplyDelete